The following terms and conditions are designed to provide a clear understanding of rights and responsibilities of both parties.
- These terms and conditions apply to any work done on behalf of the client (you) by me (Dr Janette Schubert).
- The client is under no obligation to offer me work; neither am I under any obligation to accept work offered by the client.
- I will provide the services agreed in writing between myself and the client.
Prior to commencement of the work, the client and I will agree, in writing, to the terms of the project which shall include:
- the manner in which any proofreading or editing service will be carried out (e.g. electronically in MS Word or PDF, or on paper);
- how the work will be annotated (e.g. using track changes in MS Word, standard correction symbols on paper);
- how long the work will take;
- a fee for the project together with any expenses; and
- dates for return of the completed project – subject to the provision of the source material at the agreed date.
Please note that, if the work received or the time allowed for its completion varies significantly from that agreed, I may decline to carry out the work or seek a renegotiation of the fee and/or the deadline.
- I will provide a no-obligation quotation to the client for any work required.
- The fee to be paid will be a fee per hour, per page, or per 1,000 words, or will be a flat-rate fee.
- Unless otherwise agreed, payment should be made within 30 days of receipt of invoice.
- If a job is cancelled after commencement of the work, I reserve the right to charge a fee proportional to the work undertaken.
- If the client is unable to complete the contract at the agreed time because of unforeseen or extraordinary circumstances I will renegotiate or cancel the contract as appropriate.
- If I am unable to complete the contract at the agreed time because of unforeseen or extraordinary circumstances, I will renegotiate or cancel the contract as appropriate or seek to offer an alternative supplier.
- The nature and content of the work will be kept confidential between myself and the client unless otherwise agreed.
- I will not distribute the client’s files, either original or edited, to third parties unless specifically authorised to do so, in writing, by the client.
- Any contact information which the client supplies will be used only for the purposes for which it is given, and will not be supplied to any third party without consent.
- All content delivered to me by the Client for the proofreading project is owned by the Client.
- Following payment of my invoice, any content created by me as part of the proofreading or editing process will become the copyright of the Client unless otherwise agreed.
Please note that for thesis, dissertation, or similar student papers I shall require confirmation that the work required complies with the guidance issued by the university or college to which the work is to be submitted. As a general rule, I will not develop ideas and arguments, trim an over-long thesis to regulation length, help with referencing, or correct information. Subject to the guidelines of the university or college, I will correct spelling and punctuation, ensure correct grammar and syntax, clarify the writing, format footnotes and endnotes, and make headings and page numbers consistent.
- This agreement is subject to the laws of England and Wales, and both the Client and I agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the English and Welsh courts.